Realization of RObotic Systems Lab
The Realization of RObotic Systems laboratory at USC is a facility for graduate and undergraduate robotics research and education with an emphasis on studying motion of robotic systems for a variety of practical applications. Our research interests are in the area of planning for high degrees of freedom robotic systems, motion planning of unmanned surface vehicles (USVs), physics aware decision making for multi-robot systems, and self directed learning.
COVID-19 Disinfection Robot
At the RROS, we have developed ADAMMS-UV (Agile Dexterous Autonomous Mobile Manipulation System-UV), a robot to perform disinfection tasks in public spaces such as offices, labs, schools, hotels, and dorms using UV light. The UV light mounted robots currently in markets have a UV column on a mobile base that goes around in rooms and stands still at certain places in the room so that surfaces that are exposed to the light are disinfected. ADAMMS-UV is a semi-autonomous mobile manipulator that uses a UV light wand mounted on a robotic arm to reach spaces that cannot be treated by such UV source mounted robots. In addition, it also has a large UV light source to disinfect large open spaces. It can use the gripper to open drawers, closets and manipulate objects to perform a detailed sanitization on hard to reach surfaces. UV light is a proven disinfectant. Coronavirus on a surface can be killed when exposed to UV light of appropriate intensity for a sufficient amount of time. ADAMMS-UV can hold a UV wand over a surface and move it the right speed. The robot can do this task consistently without making any mistake. This task will be physically taxing and risky for humans.
ADAMMS-UV was featured on Forbes.com, New York Times, IEEE Spectrum and The Institute Magazines, NBC, Mashable.com, Forrester Market Research, Daily Trojan, News Break, USC Viterbi School News and USC Annenberg Media
- ADAMMS-UV and CAM mentioned in New York Times article on innovative tech methods for fighting COVID-19: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/16/business/fighting-covid-19-innovative-tech.html#click=https://t.co/MqAfMJA75h - June 2020
- ADAMMS-UV features in IEEE Spectrum and IEEE The Institute magzines: https://spectrum.ieee.org/news-from-around-ieee/the-institute/ieee-member-news/usc-researchers-robotic-arm-disinfect-coronavirus - April 2020
- Forbes Magazine showcased ADAMMS-UV in their article on disinfectant robots: https://www.forbes.com/sites/richblake1/2020/04/17/in-covid-19-fight-robots-report-for-disinfection-duty/#6815cd72adab -April 2020
- ADAMMS-UV features on NBC BayArea: https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/coronavirus/robots-join-fight-against-covid-19/2272876/ -April 2020
- The story of ADAMMS-UV and its development featured by Viterbi News: https://viterbischool.usc.edu/news/2020/04/robotic-arms-extend-the-reach-of-uv-disinfection/ - April 2020
- Congratulations to Dr. Shaurya Shriyam for his new position as Assistant Professor at the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Delhi - January 2020
- Motion planning algorithms for manipulators operating in complex environments, featured in Viterbi news: https://viterbischool.usc.edu/news/2019/11/robots-are-optimized-for-tedious-repetitive-tasks-can-they-be-automated-for-more-complex-workspaces/ - November 2019
- Pradeep Rajendran successfully defended his Thesis! Congratulations! - September 2019
- Ariyan Kabir and Shaurya Shriyam successfully defended their PhD Thesis! Congratulations!!! - July 2019
- Pradeep Rajendran et. al. won best paper award at IEEE International Symposium on Safety, Security, and Rescue Robotics (SSRR) 2018 for their work on "Wave-Aware Trajectory Planning for Unmanned Surface Vehicles Operating in Congested Environments".
- Aniruddha Shembekar et. al. won best paper award at ASME 2018 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences & Computers and Information in Engineering Conference (IDETC/CIE) for their work on "Trajectory Planning for Conformal 3D Printing Using Non-Planar Layers".